Friday, October 22, 2010

Old Speckled Hen


This is by far my favorite beer. I had my first taste of Old Speckled Hen earlier this semester, and immediately fell in love. It is a darker beer (clearly), with a gentle yet prominent taste that I have only been able to describe as burned toasted marshmallows. It is incredibly smooth going down, and the pleasantly bitter aftertaste is absolutely wonderful and gives the beer a distinct touch of sophistication and class. For those of you who aren't big beer drinkers, it's a little on the stronger side, so you may want to try one before you commit to the purchase, but it's flavor is truly unique, and certainly worth a try. It avoids both the skunky hoppy flavor sometimes found in premium lighter beers and the yeasty thickness of premium dark beers by introducing its own, unequivocated taste. From what I have sampled from the beer industry, there is really nothing else out there like this, and I recommend that anyone with a mouth and a taste for fermented beverages give this one a try.

Verdict: Highly Recommended

Purchased: World Market (Columbia, SC)
Size: 11.2 fl. oz.
Price: $1.86

No comments:

Post a Comment