Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bundaberg Peachee


After seeing a review of Bundaberg Peachee on this episode of the BevNerd video podcast, I decided that I really wanted to give it a try. I found it at my local World Market, and fell upon some great luck, as they happened to be selling four packs of the beverage for half price at the time. 

Aside from the fact that it is very good, there's really not a whole lot to say about Bundaberg Peachee. That's not to imply that this is a bad thing. In fact, it is the complete opposite. Bundaberg's Peachee is a very simple and straightforward drink. Peachee is an all natural brewed peach soda, and of all the sodas that I have had in my life, this one may be the most true to its source material. When you open the screw top container (a nice touch, for reasons that I will address later), the exact smell of freshly cut peaches wafts out of the bottle. There is no hint of artificiality here; if you close your eyes and inhale, it's impossible to tell that you are not smelling actual peaches. The taste is a bit more removed, but not by much. Peachee pretty much tastes like fresh peaches. The taste and sweetness are both there, and aside from the carbonation, the beverage tastes almost exactly like the original fruit. 

The only thing about Peachee that I did not particularly favor was the sweetness. The beverage is all-naturally sweetened, but it is very rich and syrupy. Of course, sticking with the theme, this sort of sweetness is also a quality of peaches in general, but the thickness of the sugar in Bundaberg's Peachee makes it a bit difficult to drink an entire bottle in one go. The heavy consistency from the brewing process and the sedimentary material in the drink also contribute to this overall "thickness." However, to finish my thought from earlier, I believe that Bundaberg realizes this, as they have implemented a metal screw-top lid rather than the typical bottle cap, allowing the consumer to easily re-seal the bottle and save some for later.

Overall, I really like Peachee. It's a great beverage, and it's one of the most truly natural fruit-flavored sodas that I've had in a long time. The only reason that I would hesitate to recommend this to someone is the somewhat overwhelming sweetness, but as long as this one is taken in smaller servings, I think that everyone is likely to enjoy it.

Verdict: Recommended, but in small servings

Purchased: World Market [Columbia, SC]
Size: 11.5 fl. oz. [340 mL]
Price: $2.99 [Four-pack, discounted, regularly $5.99]

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I bought a four-pack here in San Francisco, California and it cost me $6.99!!! Another example of the ridiculous cost of living here…

    ReplyDelete