Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Mr. Q. Cumber


I have been hearing/seeing things about this beverage for a while now, and although I have had cucumber beverages before and not really enjoyed them, I thought that I would give this one a try after finding it at a local organic market. Now that I have had one, however, I understand what some of the hype is about.

Mr. Q. Cumber, while not wildly different from other drinks of its type, strikes a balance between sweet and savory that many of its competitors seem to disregard. Cucumber is very strong, and it can often be quite an odd flavor to incorporate smoothly into a beverage. Many of the cucumber drinks that I have had in the past seem to simply embrace the odd bitterness of cucumber's flavor and do nothing to reduce or impair the overwhelming taste. Mr. Q. Cumber, however, is different from others in that it is more of a cucumber soda, rather than a cucumber flavored seltzer or water. The cucumber taste is, overall, not very strong, and the drink is sweetened just enough to compensate for the remaining bitterness of the diluted flavor.

As I have already said, my previous experiences with cucumber beverages led me to not expect much from this one, but I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know that this one is one for the record books, but the strong balance between the cucumber flavor and the sweetness of the beverage results in a light and refreshing drink that is definitely worth a try. The seven ounce serving size is also a perfect portion of the beverage, as a larger serving size would likely grow tiresome towards the end of the bottle.

Verdict: Recommended


Purchased: Rosewood Market [Columbia, SC]
Size: 7 fl. oz. [208 mL]
Price: $1.19

No comments:

Post a Comment